Thursday, May 26, 2005

The wheels in my head are turnin'

“What is special about your product (what are the unique features and benefits of your product) that no one else is offering?”
I found this great quote on a discussion board I frequent (www.switchboards.com). And it has started the wheels in my head turnin’. The conversation was about finding your target audience…which I was just reading about the other day in an entrepreneur magazine. I’d say my target audience is moms. But even that is too general. Since finding out that the bebe in the belly is another boy I’ve been throwing the idea around of specializing in boys clothing. Though I will say I’m hesitant because it seems as though moms with little girls are always more than willing to spend $ on their precious to look adorable. Why aren’t the moms of boys? Or are they and I’m totally missing them? I know from my own experience I tire of looking at navy blue and gray over and over again in every store or the little boys department. And when I stumble across a boy’s boutique line typically it’s either so close to being girly that I just can’t bare to put my son in it or it’s plain boring. I mean I want cute clothes for my kids. Even if I do have boys. I don’t think boys should only wear sweat pants and jeans…there are more options. And these statements are coming from the mom of a kid who loves mud puddles and getting dirty.
As you can tell I’ve been thinking about this a lot.
It’s one of those things that if I do specialize in boys clothes I want to go whole hog. I’ll always have girls clothes too though I would imagine because otherwise I know a few customers who would be upset. And they know where I live…haaahaaa. So here I am again….what is special about my product that no one else is offering?

No comments: